Monday, May 11, 2009

I did it after 5 years!

People who stay in this part of the world (UAE) would definitely agree that having a license is something like having a degree certificate.

When I landed here for the third time (that's when I got the job) and started working, all my well wishers gave me this advice, "get your license now". This was way back in Oct. 2004. But I didn't give it any hearing!

After almost 3 years I started the process to obtain a license. The rules had completely changed. Fee hike, driving classes (theory) were made compulsory, passing the exam was a must, and no 3 road tries if you do not have your home country's driving license. Anyway, I told myself whatever it is I now have to go for it! Applied for the license, attended about 6 theory classes, have to admit that got to learn a lot and managed to pass the mandatory theory exam as well.

The next step was to enroll for the practical classes at the school. But the fee was so high that it actually put me onto the back seat and to rethink my idea of getting a license. And yes, it did happen so.

And then it took almost a year and a half to get back to the track and start the processing again. One fine day I went and paid my fee and got the schedule for my practical classes. Since I opted for night classes (of course, I will be at work during the day and sometimes till late evening) the schedule was so weird. Sometimes my classes started at 11PM till 1AM. It was so difficult to go to work, working till late evening and directly go to attend the classes.

After finishing the classes it was time to go for parking test. By the grace of Allah managed to pass the test at the school's parking/test area. Now it was time to get the date for final test (road test). When applied they gave me the date of Dec 25th. Unfortunately or fortunately (Allah knows the best) I wouldn't be here during that period as I was to travel to Hyderabad for marriage. Anyways, after coming back from Hyderabad I applied again and to my surprise I got the date for the final test as sooner as I haven't ever imagined. Just within two weeks! With great deal I could find a driving instructor who would give me hands on training on the roads. I must thank my colleague Mr. Adil for helping me out in finding the instructor.

Finally the test day came and I went to the Abu Dhabi License Department and registered for the test. They asked me to wait in the shuttle bus with other candidates. As time passes by the shuttle was completely full and two policemen from the department came with the car and asked us to follow them.

To test, they would ask each candidate to drive some distance and they will judge the drivers' driving etiquettes. First candidate was given a green card - passed! So as the second! That boosted my self confidence. But then the third was out! Now, there were some mixed emotions. I was a bit nervous, praying that I should be able to pass the test in my first attempt. This was very important as my wife was about to come to the UAE. And I never wanted to stand with her at a taxi stand waving for taxis. I kept praying that I should give my best and the result should be a "Pass". Finally, I was the last but one candidate to give a test drive with two policemen, one sitting beside me and one on the back seat. I made sure I stick to the basics; wear the seat belt, adjust the mirror, wait for the go signal from the policemen, apply break, change the gear to Driving, release hand break and go but maintaining the speed limit (50-60kmph) and constantly looking into the rear mirror. I drove for some distance which includes two-three U-turn at a roundabout. After some time one of the police men asked me to stop the car.

Anxious and curious I asked him "Passed?" when he handed me a paper with something written in Arabic. His answer brought tears into my eyes; tears thanking Allah for his gratefulness. I believe the hard work of attending the classes till late in the night, continuous 2 hours of training on the road for about 5 days paid the dividend. Excited and happy I called home, the instructor and all my well wishers informing them that at last I did it after 5 years!

No comments: